Monday 2 June 2014

The Summer has begun!

I'm in the U S of A!!!

I know I haven't exactly been prompt with my blog posting recently but I've found a spare 30 minutes or so on one of the camp computers to write up what's happened so far. Pictures are hard to access at the moment and I don't have a lot of time to be too detailed so I'll be fluffing up these posts at a later date.

Starting several weeks back, just hours after arriving home from Colombia, I headed down to London for the first of two days in the capital over the space of a week. My first trip was for an Americamp orientation day at the University of West London in Ealing. Although the main reason of the day was to get valuable information towards the summer ahead, it was a fun day and it was good to meet other camp counselors who were also excited for the summer ahead. My next London trip was when I went down to get my US Visa at the US Embassy in Grosvenor Square, Mayfair. Besides two rather terrible mega bus trips to and from Manchester, it was quite a pleasant day. Once my Visa appointment was out of the way, I met up with Zoe and Cody, two other Camp Counselors who are also at Camp Greentop this summer-our home. It was a lovely sunny day and enjoyed walking around London once more, stopping to sunbathe in St.James' Park and a rather surprise bumping into with former Norwich manager Chris Hughton on Oxford Street.

A week passed by then it was time for the grand depart. The start of my summer working at Camp Greentop. I left on Monday 26th May from Manchester Airport, taking the 7 hour flight across the Atlantic touching down for the first time in America at Philadelphia Airport-The city where this great nation was founded. 3 hours of hanging around followed before I boarded what is most probably the shortest flight I've ever been on to Washington DC. I was greeted at Ronald Reagan Airport by fellow CGT-ers James, Toni, Jen, Jody and Julio who despite getting lost eventually brought me to Camp Greentop, ending a long day of travelling.

Landing in Philadelphia

Me with my welcoming committee (from left to right- Jen, Jody, Toni, me and James)

A week has now passed since I arrived in America and life at camp has already proved to quite fast paced. On Tuesday I met Sam and Ben who will be lifeguarding with me at Camp this summer. On Wednesday we then started our 3 days of lifeguard training with the American Red Cross in Silver Springs near DC. Although the days were long (9-7), the course was fairly straightforward and we proved to be quite popular with our American counterparts who were very friendly and interested in learning about the English way of life. Course completed, on Saturday we joined in with family camp which involved us making skits, running the Sports & Games activity stations, an awesome trip to nearby Cunningham Falls, Pizza Making and a campfire in the evening to top it all off.


Home for the summer

Cunningham Falls

Sam loved this car

So now I'm up to date. My first week at Camp Greentop has been both challenging and enjoyable and I'm sure it will be a memorable summer. Tomorrow marks the start of proper staff training so all the remaining members of staff will be arriving soon and I can't wait to meet them all. Once training is over then our first session of campers arrives so I expect I'll be very busy. I'll try to post something within that time but if you don't see anything on this blog then you'll know I'm busy with all things camp related.

Let's hope for a long, hot summer!

Hopefully speak soon,

FP

#FraserOnTour

No comments:

Post a Comment